Customer Originated Trace identify harassing callers through the phone company.
- How to use
- When you get a nuisance call, press and quickly release the receiver button on the phone
and listen for a special dial tone. If you have already hung up, just lift the handset
again and listen for a normal dial tone.
- Dial *57, or 1157 on a rotary or pulse phone.
- Listen for a confirmation tone or announcement that the last call
has been traced.
- Hang up.
- The number you traced will be recorded at the phone company.
If you decide to follow up on the matter, we will provide that number to the
- Customer Originated Trace must be used immediately after you hang up on the call
you want to be traced. If you get another call or hear a call waiting tone,
you will then trace the wrong call.
- In some areas, after you dial *57, you will hear an announcement that the call
can't be traced. Just follow the instructions to dial an additional code,
and the call will be traced.